Home > Boston's Neighborhoods
> West End
more about your ancestor's neighborhood through the
timeline, find more information in the Further Reading
section, or use the links to experience life in that
- 1733: Spring Street is laid out.
- 1763: Noted architect, Charles Bullfinch (1763-1844) is born
in the Bullfinch House.
- 1772: The Brattle Square Church is designed by Thomas Dawes.
- 1792: Charles Bullfinch designs Joseph Coolidge's house on Bowdoin
Square that is destroyed in 1843.
- 1796: Charles Bullfinch designs and builds the Otis House on
Cambridge and Lynde Streets for Harrison Gray Otis
1801: Charles Bullfinch designs the Leverett
- 1804: Charles Bullfinch designs the Kirk Boodt House named after
the canal and mill business magnate of Lowell and
- 1806: The Old West Church is built using a design of Asher Benjamin
- 1815: Charles Bullfinch builds the Blake-Tuckerman House for
- 1817: Bullfinch designs the Massachusetts General Hospital on
- 1824: The Massachusetts Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary is founded
by Drs. John Jeffries and Edward Reynolds.
- 1826: The Green Street Church built next to the Melvill House.
- 1831: Samuel Stillman Pierce (1807-1881) operates the leading
gourmet food store in Boston located on Tremont and
Court Streets. Later S.S. Pierce becomes a Boston
institution until the early 1960's
- 1840: The Bowdoin Square Baptist Church is constructed.
- 1846: Mass General's first surgery conducted on October 16, when
Dr. John C. Warren (1778-1856) operates on Gilbert
Abbott using William Morton's (1819-1868) recent discovery
of ether to dull pain.
- 1851: Gridley J.F. Bryant designs the Charles Street Jail that
replaces the Almshouse. The Union Boat Club is founded
on the Charles River.
1860: Birth of Irish ward boss Martin Lomasney
(1860-1933) who rules the West End for more than thirty
- 1861: Nathaniel J. Bradlee designs the Wendell Phillips School, named
after the abolitionist publisher. The school is located
on Phillips and Anderson Streets.
- 1868: The Wells School is built.
- 1885: The Winchell School, designed by Arthur H. Vinal, is built
on Blossom and Parkman Streets.
- 1893: Jews from Vilna, Lithuania create an informal place of
worship, landsmanschaft, in the West End.
- 1896: The Elizabeth Peabody House is dedicated to the founder
of the first kindergarten in Boston.
- 1897: The Mayhew School is constructed, designed by John L. Faxon.
It closes in 1959.
- 1910: The Peter Faneuil School is built on Joy Street. It is
designed by Kelley and Graves. Also North Station
- 1914: The Chassidic congregation of Grand Rabbi Pinchas D. Horowitz
is created on Poplar Street.
- 1916: The William Blackstone School, named after Rev. William
Blackstone, opens on Blossom Street designed by Harrison
1919: The Anshe Vilna temple
is built for Lithuanian Jews.
- 1926: The Hatch
Shell is given to the city by Maria Hatch.
- 1949: Boston Housing Authority administers funds for urban renewal
under the Housing Act at the direction of Mayor John
- 1958-1960: West End is developed
under the supervision of the Boston Redevelopment
- 1961-1968: A new shopping center and housing for upper income
Bostonians is built. Massachusetts General Hospital
Scollay Square is raised for Government Center, including
a new City Hall and the John F. Kennedy Federal Building.
Government Center is designed by I.M. Pei.
- 1997: Housing built by the Archdiocese of Boston is opened for
former West End residents at Lowell Square.
- Sammarco, Anthony Mitchell. The West End. Images of America Series.
Dover, NH: Arcadia, 1998.
Copyright © 2001-2002
Boston History & Innovation Collaborative.
All rights reserved.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.